Polling Date: 25 March 2012
Nomination Period: 14 – 29 February 2012
General Qualifications for Candidature:
- A Hong Kong SAR permanent resident who is a Chinese citizen with no right of abode in any foreign country;
- Reached 40 years of age; and
- Ordinarily resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of not less than 20 years.
Number of Subscribers Required for Nomination: not less than 150 members of the Election Committee.
Election Expense Ceiling: HK$13 million
- Each member of the Election Committee is entitled to cast a single vote by secret ballot.
- In a contested election, a candidate who obtains more than 600 valid votes cast in any round of voting shall be returned at the election.
- In an uncontested election, if the number of support votes obtained by the candidate exceeds 600 in the poll, he shall be returned at the election.
Conduct and Supervision of the Election:
- The Electoral Affairs Commission is responsible for conducting and supervising the election.
- A High Court judge has been appointed as the Returning Officer.
- The Independent Commission Against Corruption will uphold fairness of the election through effective law enforcement, education and prevention.